New members of the Committee elected
The members of the Committee serve a term of four years, which can be renewed if re-elected. The election of the members take place every two years for 9 members of the Committee (of total 18). On 23 June 2016, at the meeting of State parties to ICCPR, election took place for the position of 9 members whose term will expire on 31 December 2016. Following persons are elected from in total of 22 candidates nominated by State parties (in alphabetical order).
- Ms. Tania María ABDO ROCHOLL (Paraguay)
- Mr. Koita BAMARIAM (Mauritania)
- Ms. Ilze BRANDS KEHRIS (Latvia)
- Mr. Ahmed Amin FATHALLA (Egypt, re-elected)
- Mr. Christof HEYNS (South Africa)
- Ms. Marcia KRAN (Canada)
- Mr. José Manuel SANTOS PAIS (Portugal)
- Ms. Anja SEIBERT-FOHR (Germany, re-elected)
- Mr. Yuval SHANY (Israel, re-elected)
168 States who are the parties to the Covenant were informed of the election for the 9 members in advance and invited to nominate their candidates by 15 April 2016. Of total 22 candidates, above 9 members are (re-)elected through three rounds of secret ballots during the 35th meeting of the State parties to ICCPR held on 23 June 2016 in New York.
"9 members of the Committee elected starting their term on 1 January 2017"