Job Description Consultancy - Part Time 50%
Advocacy and Litigation CCPR in Latin America
The candidate should be based in the Latin America region
The Centre for Civil and Political Rights (CCPR Centre) is a leading international NGO working for the worldwide implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and its two Optional Protocols. The Centre aims to achieve to fulfil that vision by facilitating the application of the ICCPR and promoting the implementation of Human Rights Committee recommendations, mainly through engaging with national NGOs and strengthening the Committee itself.
The Consultant will respond to the Program Manager and the Director, and will coordinate with the Latin American Coordinator in the implementation of the tasks.
Contribute in promoting and facilitating human rights advocacy by civil society organizations (CSOs) from Latin America, in particular from Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Cuba and Venezuela at the UN level and specifically strengthening CSO capacities to litigate individual cases of human rights violations in Central America by effectively using the UN human rights mechanisms. The activities will include linkages between the UN human rights system and the Inter-American human rights system in ways that can reinforce human rights norms and standards in the region.
- Research on the jurisprudence/findings of the UN Treaty Bodies and related UN human rights bodies
- Review legal draft prepared by CSOs on human rights violations prior to submission to UN treaty bodies and related UN human bodies.
- Provide trainings to CSO in the litigation and advocacy activities related to the individual cases.
- Identify, research, implement strategies for litigation in the LAC region.
- Participate in planning, monitoring, evaluation for different projects and for the organization, and provide input as required.
- Prepare reports when necessary, and comply with internal documentation, protection and information sharing systems, including internal policies.
- Implement post- workshop assessments and recommendations, when required.
Qualifications and experience:
- Legal professional licensed to practice law
- Graduate degree in law, human rights or similar (Master´s degree in international law or human rights law)
- Experience in international human rights law, especially UN Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures as well as regional human rights protection mechanisms, including litigation before these.
- Knowledge of jurisprudence on civil and political rights before the universal and regional human rights systems.
- Comprehensive understanding of the human rights situation of the region
- Minimum two years of professional experience in international law or human rights law
- Experience in producing high quality legal documents.
- Demonstrated research skills including the ability to analyze and develop legal arguments.
- Experience implementing trainings and workshops.
- Attention to accuracy, detail and quality, and organizational skills, as well as the ability to work well under pressure and autonomously.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent English and Spanish proficiency, written and oral.
How to apply:
Applications will be reviewed as they are received until 10 March 2023. Please note that eligible candidates should be based in the Latin America and have a regular working permit in one of the countries of the region.
Please send your resume and a brief cover letter expressing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Consultancy – Advocacy and Litigation
For more information please contact: email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.