ICCPR Case Digest
View Adopted: 2018.03.20
Maya Abromchik v. Belarus
- Lack of proper investigation
- Torture / ill-treatment
- Article 7
The Committee, acting under article 5 (4) of the Optional Protocol, is of the view that the facts before it disclose a violation by Belarus of article 7, read alone and in conjunction with article 2 (3), of the Covenant. The Committee reiterates its conclusion that the State party has also violated its obligations under article 1 of the Optional Protocol
the State party is under an obligation, inter alia, to:
- Conduct a full and effective investigation into the author’s allegations of ill-treatment, to prosecute the perpetrators and to punish them with appropriate sanctions
- Provide adequate compensation and appropriate measures of satisfaction, including reimbursement of any legal costs and medical expenses, as well as for non-pecuniary losses, incurred by the author
- Issue a formal apology to the author.
- Take all steps necessary to prevent similar violations from occurring in the future, and in the light of its obligations under the Optional Protocol, to cooperate in good faith with the Committee
the Committee wishes to receive from the State party, within 180 days, information about the measures taken to give effect to the Committee’s Views.
DATE: 20 SEPTEMBER 2018